Monday, January 18, 2010

Lemony Hummus


The first time I ever made hummus was also the first time I ever ate hummus. It was one of the (few) things that I thought I didn't like, but, inspired by the Pioneer Woman's post about it, I thought that maybe the home-made version would change my mind. Did it ever.

I probably made hummus every day last summer after coming home from work. It was so good, and the perfect after-work-ruin-your-dinner type of snack. I was, and continue to be, completely hooked.


The awesome thing about hummus is that, as long as you have the basic ingredients and understanding of how to make it, you can adjust the proportions based on your own taste. I like to feature the flavor of the olive oil and lemon rather than the tahini, but play with this on your own and decide what you like best. The basic ingredients are:

Chickpeas (also called Garbanzo Beans)
Tahini (middle-eastern sesame paste, which is pretty widely available)
Lemon
Garlic
Cumin
Olive Oil

Ruin your dinner this week with some delicious hummus. You'll be glad you did.


Lemony Hummus

Ingredients
1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
3 tablespoons cold water
2 tablespoons tahini
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
Chopped fresh basil or italian parsley, for garnish

Directions
Combine garbanzo beans, lemon juice, water, tahini, cumin, garlic, and salt in a blender and pulse until almost smooth. (You will probably need to use a spatula to push down the sides in between pulses.) Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while continuing to pulse the blender. Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle with additional olive oil. Top with chopped fresh herbs.

3 comments:

  1. I was just thinking TODAY that I wanted to find a good hummus recipe - yay! I'll definitely try this! By the way, made the guac on Friday and I loved it - thanks for the recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE hummus! I was also on a kick of making it all the time last summer---not sure why I've stopped. I like the lemon feature too! YUMMMMM

    ReplyDelete